Sunday, April 20, 2014

Undeniably Yours book review



Undeniably Yours is Becky Wade's second book and the start of her Porter Family Series!  If you enjoyed her first book, My Stubborn Heart, then you will love Undeniably Yours!

Description:
When Meg Cole's father dies unexpectedly, she's forced to return home to Texas and to Whispering Creek Ranch to take up the reins of his empire.  The last thing she has the patience or the sanity to deal with?  Her father's Thoroughbred racehorse farm.  She gives its manager, Bo Porter, six months to close the place down.

Bo knows he ought to resent the woman who's determined to take from him the only job he ever wanted.  But instead of anger, Meg evokes within him a profound desire to protect.  The more time he spends with her, the more he longs to overcome every obstacle that separates them and earn her love.

Just when Meg realizes she can no longer deny the depth of her feelings for Bo, their fragile bond is broken by a force from Meg's past.  Can their relationship--and their belief that God can work through every circumstance--survive?

Author Bio:
During her childhood in California, Becky frequently produced homemade plays starring her sisters, friends, and cousins.  These plays almost always featured a heroine, a prince, and a love story with a happy ending.  She's been a huge fan of all things romantic ever since.

Becky and her husband lived overseas in the Caribbean and Australia before settling in Dallas, Texas.  It was during her years abroad that Becky's passion for reading turned into a passion for writing.  She published three historical novels with Avon Books, then put her career on hold for several years to care for her kids, then recently returned to writing sheerly for the love of it.  She felt led to move to the genre of contemporary Christian romance and couldn't be more thrilled with it.

These days Becky can be found failing but trying to keep up with her housework, sweating at the gym, carting her kids around town, playing tennis, hunched over her computer, eating chocolate, or collapsed on the sofa watching TV with her husband.
(Author bio and book description from www.amazon.com.  Photo found on www.deepershopping.com)

My Review:
Another great book from Becky Wade!  5 stars
I absolutely loved Becky's debut novel, My Stubborn Heart, so I had very high expectations for Undeniably Yours.  I'm very happy to say that it surpassed them all!  I'm actually writing this review after reading the book for the second time, which officially makes it a favorite.
I loved so much about this book, that I'm not sure where to start!  The storyline intrigued me from the beginning.  I was curious how Becky would take an idea that is predominate in historical writing and use it for a contemporary book.  For those unfamiliar with it, the idea is a "servant" falling for their much wealthier "master."  In this case, we change those to "employee" and "employer."
I adored Meg!  She is so sweet, funny, and remarkably normal!  While we don't have much in common, I quickly fell in love with her and found her very relatable.  She is so kind and caring.  She often thinks of herself as a "softie," and I enjoyed watching her grow throughout the book as she begins standing up for herself and chooses to follow the path she believes God has for her.
I also loved Bo from the start!  He is the kind of hero that will make you wish he were real.  He is so kind, loyal, and so sweet with Meg.  I immensely enjoyed their relationship, watching it grow and rooting for both of them!
The secondary characters were great as well!  Sadie Jo, Lynn, Amber, Jayden, Mr. Son - I loved them all!  They are the kind of unique, quirky characters that add depth to a story.  It wouldn't have been the same without all of them a part of it.
As much as I enjoyed the storyline and the characters, my favorite part of the book is the spiritual aspect.  Bo and Meg each had something they had to learn, and following their journey really touched my heart. Bo has to learn to see himself as equal to Meg.  He starts out believing he is unworthy of her, because of her station in life.  One of my favorite quotes from the story is Meg saying to him, "You think God views us an differently, Bo?  He doesn't.  He doesn't care one bit about all the outward things.  To Him, we're equal.  We're both loved the same, valued the same.  We both need to find out worth in God's view of us.  To look for it anywhere else is a big mistake."  (page 254.  Excerpt used with permission from the author)  This really spoke to me.  So many times I've based my worth on something other than what God says about me. 
For Meg she had to learn to fully trust God.  She has spent most of her life worry and trying to do everything just right.  She believes she is trusting God, but not until she faces some difficult things and rises above several challenges, does she find herself able to really let go and trust Him.  This also struck a chord in me, as trust is never easy and trusting Someone you can't see is even harder - at least for me.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed sweet romance with a compelling storyline that tugs your heart and challenges your faith.




No comments:

Post a Comment