Monday, June 5, 2017

Guardians of The Galaxy, Vol. 2 - My thoughts

Image result for guardians of the galaxy vol 2
Is it just me, or does this poster look a bit like them trying too hard to look tough?


This post is a little late, since Guardians is probably pretty close to leaving the theaters, but I've been wanting to do another movie/Marvel related post, so here it is.  :)
In case you missed it in my bio, or one of my fangirl posts, my present movie addiction is Marvel films - The Avengers, to be precise (I'm not much for the X-Men side of the film franchise).  I'll be honest, I didn't much care for the first Guardians of the Galaxy.  Yeah, I know, the unpopular opinion.  I didn't think it was awful, but I was more familiar with Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, so who are these people?  A bunch of misfits that are a bit (or a lot) crude at times and who barely managed to pull together enough to win.  Which if you think about it, probably almost exactly describes the Avengers, too.  But they weren't my favorite.  And if I don't care about the characters, I can pretty much write that movie off.  They didn't endear themselves to me, so I'm done. 

Despite that, I decided to go see the second one.  Actually, I've seen it twice now.  I went with some friends the first time and woah!  Not exactly what I was expecting.  There were some LOL parts and Baby Groot!  Goodness is he adorable!  And I still like Drax - he's so awkward and blunt, and that laugh (how does he even laugh like that?).  It's hard not to like Drax.  But the first time I saw it, I left the theaters going, "I didn't like it."  I was mad about the ending (why, Marvel?  Just, why?) and I didn't appreciate the sexual innuendos and flat out comments, (again, why?) and the language is a little more rough than I recall from the first one.  Overall, not my favorite movie.  Then I talked with some fellow Marvel addicts and decided that I needed to see it again.  Some of my opinions were maybe shifting and there were things I couldn't remember, so I went again . . .   And I liked it better the second time.  Maybe because I wasn't blindsided by the ending that time, so I wasn't as mad.  Or maybe because I knew what to expect, so the crude comments and some of the violence didn't surprise me.  I honestly don't know.  It was probably a combination of those.  The questionable content was still there, and I still cringed at some of the comments, but the Guardians grew on me.  I got to learn some more of their backstories and the characters gained some depth.  We see more of Peter's past, and some sisterly disagreements with Gamora and Nebula, and there's still Baby Groot.  He's just so stinkin' cute!  And I can't not smile when Drax is laughing.  It's physically impossible for me.  These rough and tumble characters with their bad attitudes and hang ups, who in the first movie would sooner kill one another than work together, started working it out.  They're becoming a family.  A very strange one, with messed up people and creatures, who continue to collect misfits and drive each other batty more often than not.  (I could probably find a way to turn that into a devotional post, but I'll let it settle, for now)  But, like most families they really do have one another's best interests at heart, even when they're razzing one another or yelling about everything and nothing.  And I'm curious to see where their adventures take them next.  Especially after that clip at the end, hinting at the third movie!

So, those are most of my thoughts!  Has anyone else seen the movie?  If so, what did you think?

And for you're smiling purposes:
Baby Groot!
Image result for guardians of the galaxy vol 2


No comments:

Post a Comment