Sunday, March 12, 2017

My thoughts: Not For a Moment



I don’t often post things of a more personal nature, but I thought maybe someone else needed to hear this, too.  My life has been crazy lately (though isn’t it always?).  Work, family, friends . . .  Life.  And I’ve been struggling with some health problems for a while that have been not only a physical issue, but also a mental/emotional one.  Sometimes I don’t handle things well.  I mess up.  I get angry and frustrated and I just want to feel better.  I want things to be easier.  And then I feel guilty, because I know there are so many who have heavier loads than I.  And it seems every time I turn on the radio, I hear great songs that remind me God is still God in the midst of my circumstance and songs that remind me He’s got it and I can just be still.  And I love these songs!  They’re some of my favorites, but some days, that’s not what I need to hear.  
I was driving home last night and heard a song titled “Not For A Moment” by Meredith Andrews.  I’d heard it before, but it was like hearing it for the first time again.  It held a whole new meaning for me.  The full lyrics are below, and you can listen to here  if you so desire, but the bridge says:

“And every step, every breath You are there.
Every tear, every cry, every prayer
In my heart, at my worst
When my world falls down
Not for a moment will You forsake me
Even in the dark
Even when it’s hard
You will never leave me!”

I’ve had quite a bit of the “at my worst” and “when my world falls down.”  And He’s been there for all of it.  When even I don’t want to be around myself, He’s been there.  He’s never left me in my questions, in the rubble of my doubt, in the mess of ugly crying, in the darkness of fear.  The Bible says: “For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you.  He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”  (Deut. 31:6b NTL)
He’s never forsaken me.  Despite the times I may feel alone and the questions that won’t stop pelting me with doubt.  “Not for a moment” has He forsaken me.  I’m not forgotten, I’m not abandoned, or alone.  He’s here with me, in this season, in this struggle, in this moment.  And in all of the moments to come.    

Father, thank You that You are a God who keeps His word.  Thank You for walking with me through every moment of this life, the painful ones, and the joy-filled ones.  Thank You for never leaving me, despite the times I push You away or wonder if You're even listening.  Thank You for knowing exactly what I needed to hear and sending reminders of what I should already know, but sometimes lose sight of.  Help me to keep Your Word close at heart and to find my rest in Your arms.  Amen

Lyrics: (copied from KLOVE)
You were reaching through the storm
Walking on the water
Even when I could not see
In the middle of it all
When I thought You were a thousand miles away
Not for a moment did You forsake me
Not for a moment did You forsake me

CHORUS
After all You are constant
After all You are only good
After all You are sovereign
Not for a moment will You forsake me
Not for a moment will You forsake me

You were singing in the dark
Whispering Your promise
Even when I could not hear
I was held in Your arms
Carried for a thousand miles to show
Not for a moment did You forsake me

Chorus

And every step every breath You are there
Every tear every cry every prayer
In my heart at my worst
When my world falls down
Not for a moment will You forsake me
Even in the dark
Even when it's hard
You will never leave me
After all

Chorus

Not for a moment will You forsake me

No comments:

Post a Comment