Saturday, December 13, 2014

Sunday Devotion: Pray

 
"I failed to find the time, but You’ve been calling out
I let the days go as if I could live without."
Pray by Sanctus Real
(You can listen to the whole song here.)

I all too often find myself making excuses for why I can’t read my Bible or pray today. I always have something else I could be doing. Then, one day I look around and realize that I’m so far away from Him. The worst part for me, is that I didn’t even notice. I was so busy, caught up in my own little world, that I didn’t see how far away I was until I desperately needed something. God should be more than the person I go to when all else fails. So much more.
I love the next line of the song:
“But it’s gotta be here and now. I won’t be pulled away.
‘Cause it’s just You and I, so let the world around us fade.”
 
  That’s what I need. I need the world around me to just disappear. My to-do list, my schedule, everything I could or feel I should be doing - they all need to just take a hike. Quiet time with God is so important, but I fail almost every day to carve out time for it. I don’t take time to just stop and listen. Instead, I say a quick prayer while driving to work, or while I’m scurrying around trying to get everything done. That’s not enough. If I did that to any other relationship, I would have no friends and my family may have given up on me, too. So why do I do that to the most important relationship in my life? My goal this week is to take time every single day, regardless of what I have going on, and just pray and be silent before Him.
 
Father, please forgive me for neglecting You. Thank You that You never give up on me, no matter how far I may wander. Please help me to ignore all of the things pulling at me whenever I try to spend time with You and to just rest in Your presence. Amen.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment