Friday, June 12, 2015

Even So Come

 
 
Kristian Stanfill has a new song (or, at least new to me) titled “Even So Come” and the beginning of the chorus says, “Like a bride waiting for her groom, we’ll be a Church ready for You.” I’m no expert by any means, but aren’t most brides excited for their wedding day? Don’t they number each day, counting down with anticipation? Then what happened to the Church? Because I don’t see that spark, that excited waiting, knowing something wonderful is coming ever closer. It’s as though we’ve become weary of waiting, tired of anticipating only to be left still waiting. We don’t have that expectation any longer. We’ve become content with the status quo and that has made us complacent. Our faith should be more than the “Christian” checkbox when Facebook asks your religious preference. Anyone can claim Christianity, and many do, but it’s how we live it out that truly matters. Our hearts, our words, our actions: they matter so much more than a social media status.

At this very moment in time, if Jesus were to return, would you be ready? Would you be able to look Him in the eyes and say like the apostle Paul, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith”? (2 Timothy 4:7, NIV) Is your heart ready to meet Jesus? Are you confident of what He’ll say when you come face to face with Him? I may sing, “Even so come,” along with Kristian, but then I’m left praying, “Father, make me ready. Give me a heart that beats only for You. Help me to be able to say as Paul did, that I have done the best with what You gave me.” I don’t want to be complacent any longer. I want to see what life would be like if we truly lived like Jesus was coming back in the next instant. Because one day, that will be reality. Would that knowledge change how we live our lives? I sincerely hope so. You never know, we could change the world, if only we believed and lived out what the Word of our Lord says.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment